Monday, January 4, 2016

So much snow!



The month of January becomes a sensory explosion when experienced in the North. Today, when I stepped outside, the onslaught of bright, white-colored terrain rushed my eyesight, shocking with intensity. The snow covered hills and basins were frozen in a state of fantastical stillness. The twitter of a birds feathered wing, moved among the leafless branches of a sleeping tree, and dislodged a withered, dry leaf to slowly float down and land on a pillowed drift. Like magic, a warm, breath escaped my lungs in a puff of foggy steam, and colored the air in frost. It’s hard to believe that there is still life out there – that beneath the icy crust lay the sleeping hope for tomorrow.
I can’t help but listen for the sounds of life, and as I stand there, my ears straining, the silence is overwhelming, almost reverent, because it holds a miracle. Beneath the protective covering, the ground is barely breathing, its usual nest of activity, pausing for a season. I, also, pause in awe that I am witness to such a wonder. I’m dependent on its ability to one day, change, to sustain life, to awaken, for me.  So, in hopeful anticipation, my patience tried, I wait.
©2016 Linda Gatewood

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Wish I could be in real winter. Down South, not such a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing about your weather. Hope all goes well. You know you can spend winter here anytime you want!

      Delete

Popular Posts