Thursday, June 23, 2011

Linda’s thoughts during a power outage:

     Sometimes we forget how black the night sky really is without the usual man made brilliant lights forever reflecting heavenward. 
     A flash of lightning during a fierce storm can easily take out the power and when dark clouds obscure the stars and moonlight, the inky blackness can overwhelm, especially if the matches usually left above the fireplace on the mantle are not to be found. And the flashlight that the grandkids played with was never returned to its designated place. 
     Not only is it dark but also quiet. The steady hum of electrical appliances is silenced and only the occasional sound of the storm can be heard (a possibly terrifying experience).
     At these times I comfort myself by remembering that humans existed without power for thousands of years and darkness at night was common for them.  (Of course, I’m sure they could see in the dark much better than I; primitive night vision or some such phenomenon.)
     With my cell phone in hand lighting my way, I finally find matches and a small candle, and become my kind of human once again, watching the comforting little flame spring to life.  And after a few hours when the power is restored and various illuminations throughout my house begin to glow - the refrigerator is humming while the water heater gently hisses - it feels almost like a miracle!  My gratitude knows no bounds!
     One thing is certain: in our advanced world: we have succeeded in keeping the darkness at bay, but only increased our fear of the unknown should we ever have to face it – without the light!

©2012 Linda Gatewood

1 comment:

  1. wow I felt like I was in the dark with you, what a great Blog

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts