Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Favorite Authors


One of my favorite authors is a man named James A. Michener.  He wrote an amazing number of wonderful books before his death.  Some were made into movies and enjoyed by millions.  I especially loved his concept of a story and his ability to make history so fascinating.  His method was to pick a spot on Earth and begin at the literal beginning for that area and write the story of the inhabitants until modern times.  One of the most interesting of his novels was one that took place in Colorado (Centennial).  He began with a family of dinosaurs who lived in that spot and moved through time until the present; the Native American Indians who lived there, the pioneer settlers, the modern cities.  Each time period was filled with a family, an individual, or a dynasty and their story was told.  Incredible story-telling!  Well worth your time and unmatched by any other.  Try reading Texas, Mexico, The Source (a favorite), Iberia, Centennial and all the rest that he wrote.  You will have trouble picking out your number one.  It is a good read in January when the days are long and you are inside more.
An author I have loved for many years is Mary Stewart.  My favorite of her books is Thornyhold.  Great escapism and enjoyable story telling! 
Another favorite is The Count of Monte Cristo; good revenge, moral awakening and satisfying story.
Something I found by accident and no longer in print (order from used bookstore) is a book by Mary Luke called The Nonsuch Lure.  I re-read it at least once every few years.  So fun to participate in that fascinating story!
I have many favorites and this is only a short list of books that are like old friends to me, sharing many moments of my life and helping me to sort out the many mysteries of reality.  There is nothing like a really good story written in a book!

©2012 Linda Gatewood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts