Monday, March 3, 2014

Just in case you wondered why my wall calendar says 1997…


For years, I’ve always saved my favorite wall calendars. For instance, if I paid over $15 for one, or if that year was particularly busy and the calendar was profusely hand-written-in with noted activities, a sort of journal of events for that year. Some of the old calendars were cherished gifts from friends or a loved one and I’m so glad I kept them. But best of all, I discovered that I could reuse them during a future matching year.
My collection, although not complete because some years were lost, dates back to 1990 and I can always find one to match the current year (watch out for the month of February because it can’t make up its’ mind whether it has 28 or 29 days!) Then I enjoy the chosen calendar by not only noting current dated activities, but by reading the past ones and remembering. Sometimes I wonder how I ever kept up during that past twin year when things were generally a havoc of activities for months at a time.
Nowadays, wall calendars have been replaced by electronic devices with convenient calendars, notepads, timers, reminders, etc., but I still like to have a wall calendar hanging on my wall in the kitchen and in my office, not only to remind me of the day, but to remind me of the past. Those days in olden times that surely raced by while we scrambled inside our schedules and forgot how well we lived our lives. A record of small daily goals achieved and successes flaunted in dark red pen with balloons added for fun, a celebration of trivial things, those that happen every day and continue into the future and a peaceful reminder of our daily efforts to live our lives as best we could, back in 1997…
 © 2014 Linda Gatewood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts